The 0–5 Emergency Fund provides child care programs with emergency relief assistance. This fund is made possible by The Permanent Fund for Vermont’s Children and the Turrell Fund. The Vermont Children’s Trust Foundation is administering the fund and is now accepting applications for grants.
Click here to download the guidelines for the Emergency Fund.
To apply for an Emergency grant click here.
Emergency Relief Grants
Emergency relief grants are designed to provide immediate assistance for unforeseen emergencies to eligible early care and education programs. Relief grants are intended to help grantees cover expenses for unexpected problems that impact their ability to meet their mission, or an unanticipated opportunity that will enhance its work.
Timing: As need arises. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis as a plan for addressing the problem is identified. Decisions will be made within 10 working days of receiving the application.
Grant amount: The maximum emergency grant is $6,000.
Criteria for eligibility for emergency grant funds:
- Viable Vermont organization offering child care programs
- Child care program has a STARS level of 3–5
- One-time need that is un-budgeted, unforeseen and time-sensitive
- No more often than once every two years
- Specific examples of what will be considered:
- Emergency repairs of building or infrastructure if this sudden and unexpected failure interferes with operations (e.g., roof collapse from extreme weather)
- Replacement of essential equipment and technology if this sudden and unexpected failure interferes with operations (e.g., a stove or refrigerator used to prepare meals for children in the program breaks)
- Provision of services or acquisition of resource that could not have been anticipated or budgeted without which the program would be compromised (e.g., hiring a temporary replacement for someone on emergency medical leave)
Emergency relief grants may not be used for the following:
- Deferred building maintenance
- Deferred technology upgrades
- Capital campaigns
- Planning or organizational needs
- Compliance with new regulations (e.g. fencing, mulch, cushioning stone) - see more in the guidelines from the link here.